Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Side View

I'm still waiting to catch the Changing Of The Guard - when dad/mom comes back and relieves mom/dad of egg-sitting duties - so that I can get a picture of the new egg. For your fun fact of the day: pigeons are monomorphic, which means both male and female look the same (as opposed to dimorphic where they look different), and the only way to tell them apart is through gender specific behavior. There also seems to be a trend in wildlife - though it's not always the case - that monomorphic species mate for life, and share nesting duties, whereas dimorphic species mate just for a season, only the female nests while the male collects food, and then they both go their separate ways once the kids arrive.

Know why I know this? Because I spent my first three summers in New York City after college working at the Queens Zoo doing children's theater and wildlife education. Yes, I did dress as a duck and yes that duck did, in fact, sing.

Back to the discussion at hand - I still don't have an egg shot, so I thought I'd share this instead. Here, in poor-quality-cell-phone-picture splendor, is the side view of my nursery, proving the existence of my air conditioner. The observant viewer may note that the distance between my building and the building next door is very small - I'm always impressed that this pigeon family found my prime real estate given this fact.

Crafty little buggers.

4 comments:

  1. ?? And here I was thinking the bland ones are female and the shimmery bluegray ones are male.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the males do their little mating dance - when they drop their tail and puff up their necks and run around in circles, the iridescence on their necks gets more pronounced, but ultimately they both look the same. Obviously, there can be pigment differences - brown ones, white ones, straight up filthy ones - but as far as the general species goes they are monomorphic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I am also impressed that you found an air conditioner that would fit into that space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely don't give me credit - it was there when I moved in.

    ReplyDelete