Monday, April 2, 2012

A Pigeon's Work Is Never Done

I managed to catch a neat little hour of pigeon behavior this afternoon, as the couple continues to develop their nest. I always thought, once it's built it's built. But they spent about an hour this afternoon with one of them flying back and forth, reappearing with new materials, while the other weaved. Wove?

A note on materials: their nest-making skills seem to have improved from last year. They have upgraded from discarded plastic bag ties and oddly sized twigs to an intricate braiding of solely hay. Yes, hay. Or ... at least it looks just like hay. I noticed one of our local empty lots is currently filled with a weed that looks a lot like what seems to be populating my air conditioner. Whatever it is, it's a much prettier concoction than last year's.

Here's Mom/Dad at work, mid-weave, not at all happy to see me.

There's a strange clicking noise coming from the nest, the source of which I can't quite pinpoint. I'm not sure if it's from the feet/claws of ParentPigeon, or if there's an escaping baby. Come out and play, baby!!! We're all waiting!!

4 comments:

  1. Can you tell if these are the same pigeon parents from last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way to really tell, but the fact that the space is very secluded and hard to find to me is an indicator it could be the same couple. I should look at my pictures from last year (thanks, Timeline) and see if their markings are the same. This would be a lot easier if one were, like, a brown or white pigeon instead of the dominant gray pattern.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing they couldn't find good material last year and worked with what they had, and now they found the good stuff. If it's the same couple.

    ReplyDelete